I try to keep a loaf of French bread from the store in my freezer for those nights when real cooking is just not going to happen. Making these can be a no brainer when my brain is finished! You really only need three ingredients to make it work, but many additional toppings can be kept on hand to tailor them to your tastes. Pictured here, we added pancetta and shallots.
Ingredients for French Bread Pizzas
- French bread loaf from the store
- 2 C Sicilian Tomato Sauce, reduced to about 12 tablespoons if you have time (see tip below), or your favorite tomato sauce from the store
- Mozzarella cheese
- Additional toppings, if desired. (Some ideas include cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, ham, pepperoni, bacon, pancetta, onion, shallots, veggies, garlic.)
Heat the oven to 375°. Cut the French bread loaf in half and then cut each half horizontally in half to make four long pieces. Spread about 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce on each loaf half. Top with cheese and cook for 10 – 15 minutes until golden on top.
For the above pictured pizza, we added some sliced shallots before we topped the breads with cheese, then added 4 pieces of cooked pancetta on top of the cheese to each pizza.
- If you have time, put the sauce on the stove and simmer it with a little fresh garlic and a dash of oregano for about 15 minutes for extra flavor.
- The two top-side halves of the bread may be more rounded and wobbly. To keep them in place so that toppings won’t run off, roll up a square of aluminum foil and place it under the side, shaping it as needed to keep the loaf secure.
- A very small amount of cheddar cheese can add a lot of flavor! Grate some cheddar on the fine setting and add about 1 -2 tablespoons to each pizza.
- To quickly add some nutritional balance to this meal, toss some chopped apples with vanilla yogurt and a dash of cinnamon to serve on the side.