We enjoy this flavorful Indian vegetable dish for lunch during the colder months of the year when a salad just doesn’t sound good. It keeps well in the refrigerator and can be heated quickly on the stove or in the microwave. It is chock full of healthy ingredients and adds a spicey kick to warm you from the inside out. It is also great for a vegetarian dinner over rice or with a piece of naan.
Ingredients for Vegetables in Fragrant Cumin Tomato Broth
- 1/4 C butter or ghee
- 2 t. cumin seeds
- 2 T. peeled, finely chopped ginger
- 2 T. ground coriander
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1.5 t. ground turmeric
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 4 tomatoes puréed (or one 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, puréed
- 6 cups additional vegetables such as green beans, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, peas, soy beans, parsnips
- 4 cups water, chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1.5 t. salt, or to taste
- chopped cashews for garnish
Warm butter or ghee over medium-high heat, then add the cumin seeds, stirring until they turn dark brown, about 15 seconds.
Stir in the ginger, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Continue stirring for about 5 seconds, then add the puréed tomatoes, stock or water, vegetables and salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
Serve with chopped cashews. For a heartier meal, serve over rice or with naan. Makes 6 – 8 servings.